Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 27, 2008

September 27, 2008: Day 27 (Good day, but definitely not a great day)

First, the good. Aidan gained another 45 grams today, and is now 1315 grams (2 lbs 14.4 oz). He could actually break the 3 pound mark tomorrow if he gains at least 50 grams. OK, not likely, but I can dream can't I?

Now the bad. This morning at 6am, Aidan had is worst apnea spell yet, when his heart rate dipped to under 50 beats per minute, and the nurse took minor action to stimulate him. Aidan has now had 4 documented apnea spells. Still, I keep going back to Dr Keampf telling us that most premies have way more than this, and some have hundreds.

As for the eye infection next door, the NICU has decided to test all babies in the west NICU for staph. They took a nose swap from Aidan this afternoon. We may not have results for a couple days. Also, the day nurse took a sample of some "eye goo" from Aidan. We think (hope) it is the same yellow goo he has had before, and was already diagnosed as normal clogged tear ducts by Dr Mischel.

Tried a different holding position today.





We will *not* be doing this again. It did not go well and Aidan had a major oxygen desaturation while in this position. We think he was having trouble digesting, and trouble breathing while in this position. He is just too young and little to hold him in this traditional position which should be reserved for what we call "giant babies".

He needs to be more upright, like this. We changed to this and he got better.



View from our corner of the NICU. Pretty, huh?



OK, I'm not in a great mood after today.

You got to listen to this clip. Aidan has the hiccups real bad...



Off to bed. I'm riding 100 miles tomorrow in the Peach of a Century. Need to get up in 5 hours...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a cutie!!!
And guys... PROACTIVE... being proactive with Aidan's care requires zero.. I repeat ZERO apologies or guilt for what someone else may consider "over complaining".... Once you've had the care of a really good and caring nurse or RT... the not so good ones really stand out.. so. COMPLAIN!! It's ok.. If someone doesn't have the competence for the NICU they NEED to be gone.. these babies MUST HAVE the BEST available.. their lives or quality of life DEPENDS on it...
You are doing an amazing job and wish I could pass what "aged strength" I have to you to help keep you going... I know you are tired.. but as is your character you do what you HAVE to do and know Aidan needs you to do...
In such times.. I try to remember..
"This too shall pass".. and it will. This time next month.. who knows... just think how much bigger Aidan will be.. and he has proven he is a little fighter...

Love Love Love to you
and BIG HUGE SQUISHY HUGS
Aunt Bev

Anonymous said...

oh and RICK!! 100 MILES!!!
Now I'M TIRED just reading that!!
Good luck in the race..
If you can put all the pent up frustration of not so hot nurses into your pedals you'll blow the rest of the competition away!!

Love and Hugs
Aunt Bev

Anonymous said...

Rick, I agree with Aunt Bev; you should never, ever apoligize for voicing your concerns. You and Denyse are investing more hours each day in the NICU than any shift caregiver. You certainly have enough experience there to tell the difference between excellent care & just average care. Aidan (and all the tiny little babies there) deserve the very best 100% of the time. While it is true that apnea is common with preemies, an episode should never be taken for granted. Keep on observing and complain as loud as possible whenever you see something that doesn't look right.

Good luck on the bike ride -- don't fall asleep on the route. Love, Mom